It is no secret that banana bread is deeelish! However most of the time it is filled with refined sugars and other ingredients that can inflame our skin and worsen blemishes and breakouts. This is my version of a “healthier” banana bread which also happens to be gluten-free, the perfect after school or office treat!
- 4 bananas, ripe
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 3 eggs, organic free range
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- Rice or almond milk to tweak consistency
1. Preheat oven to 180° or 356°F.
2. Peel bananas and place in a large mixing bowl. Gently mash the bananas up with a large mixing spoon.
3. Add flour, honey, coconut oil, vanilla, cinnamon, eggs to the bowl. Combine with a mixing spoon or in a food processor until mixture is cake consistency. If the mixture is too thick, add rice or almond milk until desired cake consistency is reached.
4. Lightly oil the loaf tin and then coat the tin with desiccated coconut to prevent the cake from sticking.
5. Spoon the cake batter into the tin and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Once a skewer can be inserted into the centre and come out dry, it is ready.
6. Remove the cake from oven and allow to cool before turning it onto a tray or plate.
TIP: Feeling creative? Top with sliced banana or chopped walnuts and cinnamon before placing in the oven. Voila!